[TowerTalk] Night Climb

David J Rodman MD rodman at buffalo.edu
Fri Oct 15 07:01:19 EDT 2004

I used a particularly calm warm night to accomplish a night climb and
calibrate a rotor on one of my towers.  Without dwelling on the fact
that this was not a particularly fun or thing I would endorse or wish to
do again, I wanted to offer some technical points.  I used a Sears
Craftsman fluorescent tube light for lighting.  I attached this securely
and it was great illumination for working as well as ascent and
descent.  The light was hooked just above my work level and I could see
into my tool and bolt bags quite easily.  I would suggest having the
ground crew keep the AC cord away from the face one is climbing on.  I
also count my climbs as the Rohn has an uneven rung spacing every
section which is a count of 8 steps.  I found this easier not to miss a
step.  I do not suggest this is as a subsitute for daylight work, just
better than trying it in the 40-50 mph winds we expect this weekend.