[TowerTalk] Take off angles, VOACAP, etcf.

Guy Olinger, K2AV olinger at bellsouth.net
Sun Oct 17 23:05:59 EDT 2004

The problem with the experiment is that which mode is open, or how
MANY modes are open and which one(s) being used, may not be
determinable or selectable unless both ends have an antenna with a
very narrow vertical aperture.

The typical ham yagi stack comes nowhere near the required narrow
vertical aperture.

Also, if one digs around trying to find an iron-clad proof that a
take-off angle of 15 degrees produces an incoming angle of 15 at the
other end, one comes up empty. As best I can tell, that's an
assumption. Not blatant in the sense of irresponsible, just that
there's nothing else to do. If you don't pick equal angles, what DO
you pick and why?

This problem continues to revert to the general lack of ham available
narrow angle transmitting and receiving equipment. If we had the
stuff, we'd just MEASURE the angles and all the speculation would
cease.

Guy.