[TowerTalk] Conduit runs in tower base

Craig Sande craig.sande at sbcglobal.net
Sun Oct 31 20:53:15 EST 2004

I am getting ready to pour the base for a 70 foot crank up tower by Tashjian Towers.  Initally I plan only one run of Bury Flex by Davis RF to a remote coax switch on the tower, a control line for the coax switch, a control line for the rotor, and power & control lines for the tower motor with remote control option.  I would like a neat installation, as it will be in the back patio area (e.g. concrete or pavers will surround the base after installation).

Does the following sound ok (tower newbie here)?  Three sweeps of 3/4 or 1" conduit terminating just below and inside each tower leg on top and exiting into trenches radiating from the tower for the buried ground radial system (2-0 stranded copper); one 1" conduit sweep to buried conduit for the 120 VAC for the tower motor; and two 2" conduit sweeps to buried conduit run for the RF cable(s) and low voltage lines.

Where should I terminate the conduit sweeps for the 120VAC, RF, and control lines relative to the tower cage so that they won't be in the way of the tower, but won't be too far away?

Should I  put a double 90" at the top of the sweep for the coax to keep rain out, or connect the two 2" sweeps to some sort of metal junction box?  How should I stabilize the junction box if used (e.g. metal channel coming out of the concrete or simply attached to the conduit)?

Any suggestions greatly appreciated!

Craig, AE7I