[TowerTalk] Obtaining an IARP

Dave Cook davec at netdave.com
Fri Sep 3 23:23:30 EDT 2004

A brief update on the IARP issue. The ARRL Web site
<http://www.arrl.org/FandES/field/regulations/io/> indicates there are three
options for operating in foreign countries - CEPT, IARP, and "Other
Countries". Clicking on the link "Operating Permit Information by Country"
leads to a table that has a link titled "Canada, US Hams". Clicking this
takes you to the RAC site <http://www.rac.ca/regulatory/rcip.htm> that
states that an IARP is not required.

Furthermore, the FCC document RM-8677 states, insofar as the IARP issueance
is concerned, states in section 177:

"177.  For a United States citizen to operate an amateur station in a CITEL
country, an International Amateur Radio Permit (IARP) is necessary.
According to theCITEL Agreement, the IARP may be issued by the home
administration.  Such issuance of the IARP by the home administration may
also be delegated to a member-society of the International Amateur Radio
Union (IARU).  The ARRL has offered its services to the Department of State
to issue the IARP document to U.S. citizens for their usewhen they travel to
CITEL countries.  The ARRL would provide this service on a
non-discriminatory basis, at no cost, charge or expense to the United States
Government. We have no objection to the mechanism that ARRL wishes to
establish for the issuance of the IARP document to U.S. citizens.  Details
of this mechanism can be worked outbetween the AARL and the Department of
State.  In the future, the Commission may delegate to other entities the
authority to issue the IARP."

The term "necessary" seems to contradict what the Canadians have to say
about the situation. And it seems that the FCC has punted on the
administrative responsibility and is letting the ARRL handle IARP processing
and dissemination. So if you want an IARP, you've got to pay your $$$ to the
ARRL.

My choice is to believe that the term "necessary" is mitigated by the rules
adopted by the reciprocal country. Since the FCC doesn't have jurisdiction,
I'm going to go by the story I'm hearing from the Canadians.

73, Dave, WA0TTN