[TowerTalk] Belden 8285

gdaught6 at stanford.edu gdaught6 at stanford.edu
Sun Sep 19 19:49:18 EDT 2004

On 18 Sep 2004 at 22:40, Keith Dutson wrote:

> Not sure, but probably oxidation.  At any rate, the loss goes up as it
> ages.
>
> Keith

< snip >

> I am really tempted to use it but wonder what
> the indications would be if it has degraded.

Test the loss.  Hook up a dummy load at one end, and a transmitter
and in-line power meter at the other end.  Put 100 w (measured by the
power meter) at 28 MHz into it.  Then, shift the power meter to the
other (dummy load) end.  Read how much power is getting to the dummy
load.  See if the loss of the coax is within specifications; if so,
use it!   I'll bet it's OK.

73,

George T. Daughters, K6GT