[TowerTalk] GPS receivers

Tower (K8RI) tower at rogerhalstead.com
Mon Sep 20 10:09:50 EDT 2004

<snip>

> Mike wrote
>
> I don't disagree that Garmin is by far is a better unit than the
> Magellan.  I however don't consider the Magellan to be junk.  I've
> compared my Magellan against Garmins three times the cost and they had
> the same Lat-Lon down to the 5th decimal place and +/- 5 meters <16
> feet> of elevation.

That is beyond the system's capability unless using Wide Area Augmentation
System (WAAS) which is only on the newer and more expensive units.  The non
WAAS GPS is capable of "an average" of +/- 15 meters, not 5.  Short term
they may *appear* much better as to repeatability, but the absolute is only
that average which means it could at times be notably worse
See http://www.garmin.com/aboutGPS/ for a good explanation of the system.
Normally GPS has poorer resolution in altitude than lat-lon.

N833R, World's Oldest Debonair (S# CD-2)
www.rogerhalstead.com