[TowerTalk] Shunt Feeding Crank Up Towers

James C. Hall, MD nwtcc at earthlink.net
Sat Apr 2 13:56:18 EST 2005

Hi Tom:

I have a UST 72' crankup with similar top-loading. I have coax arms on mine
as well. What I did is bolt a 3 foot section of 1" square aluminum channel
stock in the groove of the coax arm so that it points out opposite to the
coax arm. I dropped a wire attached to the standoff and attached it, via a
turnbuckle, to a 2 x 4 bolted just above the tower mounting bolts and
extending under the drop wire. You can make a cage if you want to improve
band coverage, but I found this unnecessary. BTW, I attached the cross arm
to the next-to-top section of tower. I purchased a Russian-made vacuum
variable capacitor (500pf, 15kV rating, I believe) and made a simple mount
with squares of plywood with circles cut out so that I could slide these
around the capacitor and hold them, along with the attached wires with hose
clamps. I have the whole thing mounted horizontally in a Rubbermaid box. I
have a SO-239 bulkhead connector (a longer barrel connector) attached to the
box with a bit of copper flashing for outside ground connection and a simple
bolt with wing nut on the other side of the capacitor for feeding the shunt
wire. A section of coax goes from the antenna switch to the SO-239 bulkhead
connector and a ground wire connects to one of the 2 x 4 attachment nuts.

That's it. Take your antenna analyzer and tune the capacitor to your
favorite section (I set mine to 1840 khz), and you're good to go. I did not
need as much capacitance as I thought, and I didn't need another capacitor
to omega match it - it worked fine with gamma matching. At times, it also
receives better than the beverage.

I have some pictures I would be happy to send you if you desire.

73, Jamie
WB4YDL

I've stopped 183 spam and fraud messages. You can too!
One month FREE spam and fraud protection at
http://www.cloudmark.com/safetybarsig/?