[TowerTalk] When a Yagi Loses an Element

Doug Renwick ve5ra at sasktel.net
Sat Apr 2 20:34:07 EST 2005

Revised - Sri should have said boom to mounting plate clamps instead of
boom to mast clamps.

Bill,

This is how I would approach this challenge.  Years ago I had the
boom break on a 4L 40M KLM.  What held it together was the truss.
The entire broken antenna (2 pieces) was removed by one person,
myself and successfully trammed to the ground.
What you need to do is move the boom to a new position so that the
center of gravity is at the mast.  You may have to remove the
phasing straps and the front driven element (maybe not).  You
use the truss or a truss to keep the heavy end of the beam from
dropping.  I removed all the boom to mounting plate clamps except one.
Only loosen the remaining boom to mounting plate clamp enough so that
the boom will slide through it.  Add a rope truss to the heavy end of
the boom as far out as you can reach.  Use the truss(es) to help pull the
boom through the clamp and keep adding another rope truss further
out on the boom so you have leverage.  It is a slow process in
the beginning inching the boom along but near the end it will go easy.

Doug

--
Doug Renwick VA5DX
PO Box 50, Clavet, Saskatchewan, Canada S0K 0Y0
VE5RA at sasktel.net
First VE5 5BDXCC, 160M DXCC & 9BDXCC
What profit it a ham if he gains all the awards yet forfeits his soul?
I'll run the race and I will never be the same again.