[TowerTalk] HF Beams/Rotors

Wesley Cosand wes.cosand at verizon.net
Mon Apr 11 21:10:05 EDT 2005

I have used a 12 element Sommer for many years and have moved it across the
country and put it up again.  40 M never seemed to live up to my
expectations and I finally took the 40 and the 30 meter systems off the
beam and put a Force 12 beam up above it for 30 and 40.  I had planned to
replace the Sommer with a SteppIR but the current set up works so well I
doubt if I will touch it until something breaks.  It is a well built
antenna that works very well but has a lot of parts to get assembled and
tightened correctly.

I have heard several Sommer owners say that the beam is essentially a
rotatable dipole on 40 meters.  I had trouble getting the specified SWR but
I understand they have replaced the catenary wire with a nonconductive
cable and that 40 meters has improved.

Wes, WZ7I