[TowerTalk] Real numbers for Rohn BX-64 Re: guying

VR2BrettGraham vr2bg at harts.org.hk
Mon Apr 11 21:47:29 EDT 2005

W6RMK concluded, in engaging K8LX:

>Fascinating stuff.. but of little practical use...
>
>Either you're subject to regulatory constraints, in which case you need to
>get a "real Engineer" to do a real analysis, or you aren't, in which case
>you can do pretty much whatever you're comfortable with, as far as
>overloading the tower.

Probably another good point, right along with N4NM's.

Trying to stay away from K8LX's largely (I believe) academic point
that guying has the potential to increase the capabilities of a tower
like BX/DMX/Delhi-whatever, has anyone actually engaged any of
the manufacturers over the years to ascertain just how high & how
big one can go by adding guys?

VE5RA's (I think it was) it-works-for-me-so-it-must-be-okay approach
is fine & dandy, but his experience strikes me as seriously overloading
a tower that is only rated for something like the loading of a tribander
& in its original incarnation, clearly exceeds the boom length spec.

If I didn't know any better, if I stumbled across this thread, I'd get a
bunch of this tower shipped over & put some up myself.  Why bother
spending more money when I can just add guys, more sections &
a lot more antenna?  This stuff is much more than the greatest thing
since sliced bread... sod Rohn, sod AN - just stack more of it, slap
on some guys & load the dickens out of it.

Going back to K8FU's original post, he didn't mention what sort of
tower he was putting up near the power line.  Oh well, perhaps
somebody somewhere will benefit from where this has gone.  ;^)

73, VR2BrettGraham