[TowerTalk] KT36XA

KT2Q dxdx at optonline.net
Thu Apr 21 23:03:40 EDT 2005

All,

Still pondering the idea of purchasing a KT36XA by M2. I received a few e-mails and would appreciate additional comments about it's performance before I make the purchase.

I've been told that it is one of the better tri-band Yagi's because it uses all of it's boom length when compared to some interlaced designs that use less than the entire boom. The Optibeam OB16-3 does use most of it's 33 foot boom, but it is a bit heavy and pricy. Element spacing for 20 meters on the Force12 XR31 is about 24 feet.

LB (W4RNL) made the point that the gain figures quoted for this antenna (and other tri-banders) are close to the maximum obtainable; even for monoband Yagi's of similar boom length. So I would assume that like other tri-band Yagi's, it falls somewhat short of true monoband performance due to the fixed element spacing and loading.

With that said, has anyone been able to accurately model the KT36XA (especially on 20 meters) with it's shorter elements and linear loading and compare it to interlaced designs of the same boom length?

Being an M2 product it looks like a sold design, but does it's performance come close to matching it's number of elements and size? How well does it model when compared to a monobander on say 20 meters with the same boom length?

Thanks,

73 Tony KT2Q