[TowerTalk] KT36XA

Bill w5vx at hiline.net
Fri Apr 22 10:02:30 EDT 2005

Tony,

My experience is with KT34XA not KT36XA antennas. I have a friend that lives
within a mile of me and had, until recently a pair of KT34XA's on a 100 foot
tower. We also had a pair of KT34XAs at our contest station, 6D2X, now (SK).
At the time we considered these antennas to be very good and were pleased
with the results. I bought a Force 12 C3E four or 5 years ago and put it on
a 120 foot tower. My friend and I began to compare signals. We were
surprised to find that the C3E held its own very well on all bands with the
100' KT34XA. In fact it was not unusual for the C3E to get better reports
using similar power levels. After these tests I would have never purchased a
KT34XA due to the cost, complexity, and weight of the antenna.

I have not seen or used the KT36XA so I cannot comment on the performance of
that antenna. I suspect that the antenna was improved but have no personal
knowledge. M2 has always been a good outfit. Considering the number of good
triband antennas that are available these days, I would want to check all
available before I bought one. If you're trying to win a contest, tribanders
generally won't suffice. If you chasing DX, a smaller antenna will work very
well. Bigger, heavier, more complex antennas (not just the KT34/36)
generally mean a bigger rotator, and more antenna and rotator maintenance.

If you haven't read K7LXC/N0AX's Antenna Comparison report, you should. It's
a little out of date now (doesn't have the KT36XA) but it gives some ideas
about all the claims, etc. Most hams like their antennas and will tell you
how great they work. You need to "know" how they work, not how big/small,
number of elements/spacing, etc. Anecdotal comments are not much help.

Good luck,
Bill, W5VX