[TowerTalk] Non-Tower Question

Anthony R. Gold ham-radio-mail-lists at ahjg.co.uk
Fri Apr 22 19:30:49 EDT 2005

Hi all.

I recently bought a house on a city lot with protected trees on much of
the unbuilt property, so I will have great difficulty planting a tower on
the property.  I have just received news that I will get permission to
attach an antenna to a "widows walk" (viewing deck) on the top of the
building but I am not sure how to do it in a safe well-engineered manner.

[As an aside I might mention that the city's historic architectural review
committee understood the implications of PRB-1 and its local State and
Local equivalents and they were actually in favour of my putting up a
tower instead of placing the antenna onto the building.]

My thinking is to put up a 2" mast with something like a Spid rotator
inline and a Fluid Motion 4el SteppIR on top - maybe also a small 2m beam
up above the SteppIR on whatever mast extension the boom guys require.

Is there any literature or resource or advice on how to attach such a mast
securely to a timber structure?

If the attachment allows the mast some degree of vertical movement which
offers easier service access to the antenna, that would also be helpful.

Thanks.

Tony