[TowerTalk] Yahoo and Spam! Was: New Ham Automation reflector

Roger K8RI on Tower k8ri-tower at charter.net
Mon Apr 25 20:13:35 EDT 2005

I know this is drifting OT, but about 20 to 30% of the spam I receive is
addressed to the address I use here on Tower Talk. I use this address for no
other purpose than the reflector and to respond to those using the address
for direct responses.  Those people already have the address anyway.

Other addresses probably receive spam mostly for the same reason. Infected
conputers and friends sending/forwarding jokes via HTML e-mail even though I
use text only.

Even with published addresses on web sites I *normally* receive well less
than 10 a day (5 average) out of a 100 or so legit messages.

>I get very little Spam addressed to the email addresses I use for Yahoo
> groups (but they are not Yahoo email addresses). By far the majority of
> Spam I get comes to an email address I was silly enough to use on Usenet
> for a while.

I used a legit return address on the news groups for years. I used the same
address from 96 until early 2004.  Spam remained low as it is now, but one
day my mail wasn't coming up. I looked and it was downloading, but had 480
messages to go.  I went in, dumped the address on the server which dumped
all that mail spam and legit.  Recently I reactivated that address and the
first day it received on the order of 20 messages.  I flushed it again.  I'm
guessing that someone signed me up for every mailing list they could find,
or a new CD hit the market the day before.

> Both on Yahoo groups and on the various email lists to which I subscribe
> I probably get more tedious messages griping about allegedly off-topic
> posts than actual Spam! ;-)

I even get spam to the address I use for Spam-L on occasion.<:-))
> 73

N833R - World's oldest Debonair CD-2
www.rogerhalstead.com