[TowerTalk] antenna feed line (kind of on topic)

Jim Lux jimlux at earthlink.net
Wed Apr 27 00:04:02 EDT 2005

Probably really dependent on the insulation and such things as how tightly
twisted it is. AWG10 is almost always stranded, which makes figuring out the
conductor diameter a bit tricky (since AWG is the copper area, not the
overall diameter, and the latter is what counts for impedance).

Most twisted pair wire seems to come up around 100 ohms, give or take, but
that's probably an artifact of how much insulation thickness there is on a
given diameter conductor.

As far as feed line.. you could always twist up a batch, measure it, and use
it.  Twisted pair is used at 100 MHz plus frequencies (if not GHz)  to good
effect.  Certainly, the folks wiring UTP networks worry about the same kinds
of things that radio people do: loss, crosstalk, mismatch, etc.  The tool of
choice is a TDR to look for miswiring and bad installations.