[TowerTalk] antenna feed line (kind of on topic)

Jim Brown jim at audiosystemsgroup.com
Wed Apr 27 00:37:01 EDT 2005

On Tue, 26 Apr 2005 21:04:02 -0700, Jim Lux wrote:

>Most twisted pair wire seems to come up around 100 ohms, give or take, but
>that's probably an artifact of how much insulation thickness there is on a
>given diameter conductor.

No comment on the impedance.

But while you're thinking about this, remember that mismatch contributes
relatively little additional loss to the total picture until there's a LOT of
mismatch. See the ARRL Antenna Book. I would pay more attention to the uniformity
of the twist, which will minimize radiation from the feedline (and, by
reciprocity, any pickup by the feedline, which will mostly be noise).

Jim Brown  K9YC