[TowerTalk] Aermotor Windmill Tower

Dan Hearn dhearn at wwnw.net
Sat Apr 30 13:03:31 EDT 2005

Doug, I owned an Aermotor tower similar to yours but 85 feet tall. I moved
it 3 different times and worked out a system which allowed putting it
together with a minimum of problems. The cross bracing wires are a pain to
install. They are soft and easily straightened. I built a tool which worked
well for installing them.
Drill and tap a 3/8-16 hole in the end of a round rod about 12-15 inches
long. Grind away 1/2 of the side of the rod at the tapped end so that,
looking at the end, you see a half circle of metal with half of the thread
remaining. You will also probably need to grind a bit on the side of the
threaded part so it will go thru the wire hole. This pry bar is inserted
thru the hole in the wire and the half circle of threads in it lays over the
end of the tower bolt. The threaded part of the bar will not slip off and
the bolt threads will not be damaged. Push the pry bar to tighten the wire
until you can tap the wire onto the bolt with a small hammer. It worked
great for me.
  I used lock washers on the bolts. I might mention that I was given some
stainless bolts and nuts which I used the second time I put the tower up.
When I took it down for the third move, the SS bolts and nuts seized and I
had to break most of them to get them off. Since then I have used plated
hardware.
 73, Dan, N5AR