[TowerTalk] Lifting 45G?

Tom Rauch w8ji at contesting.com
Mon Aug 8 13:36:37 EDT 2005

>     How did you sling them? My preference is to sling them
on the top so
> it'll hang dead vertical making installation easy. I
looked at the N3OC photos and
> they rigged it from the side. That's going to put it at an
angle due to the
> headache ball and it looks like mating the sections will
be harder.

>     My question had to do with picking up 100' from the
top, not down the
> tower - I guess I didn't clarify that part. Of course
picking it at 70 feet or so
> is safer but I'm disinclined to do it because I think
it'll make the
> installation harder (I like things easier). Thoughts?

We always grabbed them just comfortably above a balance
point. I'm not sure how bad it would bow if you grabbed
right at the top but from what I've seen the stuff is
stronger than I ever thought. You might have to just try it
and see how much it bends. The worse part is just when it
initially comes off the ground.

73 Tom