[TowerTalk] MFJ 259 for stub tuning

Jan Elburg jan.elburg at chello.nl
Fri Aug 12 12:40:52 EDT 2005

Tom

The method I use for years is the following

Using my MFJ259B I connect a dummy load and the stub to be made in parallel,
using a T junction  PL connector.

One side goes to the dummy the other side to the stub coax.

When you  want to make a ¼ stub,  you have to short (a firm short)  at  the
far end and find on the MFJ the place where you read 50 Ohms and vy low SWR

That’s the place where your cable is resonant, when it’s to low you can cut
of a a piece and start again.

When to high, take another piece longer this time

For ½  wave lengths you leave the far end open and check again the MFJ. And
cut and check etc.

For final tuning I use my transceiver on low power and a good SWR bridge,
that’s for the last few kc/s.

On resonant you will see almost no difference when you unplug the ready made
stub

Good luck

Jan pa0jed