[TowerTalk] Will my roof stay on?

Dick Dievendorff dieven at msn.com
Sun Aug 21 16:04:45 EDT 2005

I'm about to install a roof tower with a 2.5 square feet winload antenna.
I'm contemplating mast length and have come to realize that I don't really
know what computations I should be making to avoid damage to my roof.

I was thinking of a 10 foot mast, 6 feet would stick out of the tower. But
why not a 20 foot mast?   How about 13?  How would I know?

I'm looking for references for the computations involved and the forces that
a roof can be expected to endure.    I need to decide what the mast is going
to be made of and how long it can be.  At 80 mph is the roof going to lift
off?

Dick, K6KR