[TowerTalk] Verticle Antenna Question

Lee Buller k0wa at swbell.net
Tue Dec 13 16:02:15 EST 2005

Liberal Arts Major type of question.....

On some verticle antennas (i.e. Butternut) there is a
coil between the feed point and ground.  The coil is
about 1 1/2" in diameter and about 10 to 12 turns.  I
think it is used for a DC ground return for
lightening.  Then again....I may be wrong.

If I was to fabricate my own 1/4 wave verticle...is
such a thing needed for safety since my verticle I am
planning does not have an actual ground-ground...but a
ground plane instead.  I would say the the antenna is
going to be a 1/4 wave ground plane.

Lee - K0WA

In our day and age it seems that Common Sense is in short supply.  If you don't have any Common Sense - get some and use it.  If you can't find any common sense, ask for help from somebody who has some common sense.