[TowerTalk] Vertical Antenna Question

Reicher, James JReicher at hrblock.com
Tue Dec 13 16:38:29 EST 2005

Lee,

It's been a while since I've read the Butternut manuals, but as I
recall, that coil is designed to act as a matching device, helping get
the impedance of the feedpoint to 50 ohms, or there about.  At least on
the HF6V, from my experience, this wasn't necessary under the following
conditions:

1.  If the only band used is 20 meters, since the stub used to feed the
antenna was an electrical 1/4 wave on 20.

2.  If the antenna is mounted above ground, as a ground plane antenna.
Elevating the antenna seemed to change the feedpoint impedance.  I ran
mine as a ground plane for years and had no issues of this sort, once I
removed the coil.  When I used it mounted to ground, the coil did do its
work.

73 de N8AU, Jim in Raymore, MO