[TowerTalk] FORCE 12 C4XL

Don Beattie g3ozf at btinternet.com
Wed Dec 21 06:32:02 EST 2005

I wonder if anyone can help ?

I have had a C4XL up here for some years at about 80ft, and it works very well. Not in the C31 class on HF, of course, but I wanted 40m performance as well on the one boom.

Recently I've been thinking about the forward gain and f/b on 10/15/20 of the C4, and considering whether there was any opportunity to improve it. Playing with EZNEC suggests that replacing the front 10m director with a trapped tri-band director might give about and extra 1.5 dB forward gain, and some 10 dB f/b improvement. Yes, I know it would mean using traps, which I generally don't like, but on paper, the advantages are there for the taking.

Has anyone played with the C4XL in this way. If so - any comments or experiences you can share with me ?

73 - and happy holidays

Don, G3BJ