[TowerTalk] Elevated guys to a extreme

K7LXC@aol.com K7LXC at aol.com
Fri Dec 30 15:41:36 EST 2005

Hiya, Jim --

    Tnx for your thoughtful comments in reply to  KC0ERG's email enumerating
the potential problems with N5OT's tower  installation.

    The thing is that while OSHA rules are promulgated  to promote a safe
workplace where people are getting paid to perform some sort  of tasks, in this
case tower work. OSHA rules do NOT apply to anyone else, that  is, anyone doing
it on their own for free. You know - amateurs!

    Yes, fall arrest harnesses are a pretty good idea  and I sell lots of
them to hams but if you want to climb with a clothesline  wrapped around your
waist, it's (potentially) your funeral.

    Mark's method of attaching the other guys to the  tower via a big metal
plate spreads the stresses across 2 faces and since the  guys come in from
opposite directions, the net horizontal force on the plate  should be relatively
small since the forces most likely cancel each other out.  If he had attached
only one set of guys directly to a leg, I would've had a BIG  problem with
that. The way he did seems to work. Actually it's a clever  solution. I've seen
ground guy points that had guys from several towers  attached to it but they
were typical heavy metal (pieces of railroad track) that  didn't have any problem
with the forces.

Cheers,
Steve   K7LXC
TOWER TECH