[TowerTalk] Trying to CAD weld stainless steel to round pipe pile

Roger (K8RI) tower at charter.net
Wed Feb 2 16:19:06 EST 2005

> To Whom may concern or to whom feels moved by Pity,
>
> Is it possible to CAD weld a 3/4" diameter stainless steel rod to a 16"
> diameter steel pile?

It's possible, but difficult.
Cad Welding (TM)  depends on measured amounts of material for a given base
material.

> How does one do this with the crucible?

You would basically need to create a clay mold to hold the proper amount in
the proper place.

It would be far easier with a TIG or even MIG welder.  Put a taper on the
end of the rod and then starting at the center, keep moving around while
filling the grove formed between the  rod and steel pipe.

This can be tricky as you have two materials with quite different thermal
characteristics.  Also, SS likes to crack with large temperature differences
and needs to be flooded with a cover gas such as used in MIG and TIG. This
probably won't be a problem in a static environment.

Welding SS exhaust pipe pretty much requires a nitrogen atmosphere inside.

Good Luck,

Roger Halstead (K8RI & ARRL Life Member)
N833R World's oldest Debonair
www.rogerhalstead.com