[BULK] - [TowerTalk] Henry 3K Classic MK2 Mod for 160 Questio n

Steve Katz stevek at jmr.com
Thu Feb 10 12:35:03 EST 2005

Jack, I had a 3K Premier for many years (I owned the first prototype of this
amp, actually, and it was designed just for me as the very first amateur amp
Henry ever built that covered 160 meters, in 1985) and I must say they
nailed it very well.  Very easy to tune, nothing critical in the tuning
process, very easy to drive, gobs of output power.  The difference, far as I
know, between the MK II and the Premier is only that the Premier covered 160
meters.  An extra bandswitch position, and lots of extra (and different)
parts.

Since I understand that Henry is now formally exiting the tube amp
manufacturing business and will be leaving their old location which they've
been at "forever," now might be the perfect time to contact them for the
schematics and parts lists for the Premier, and compare to the MK II.  If it
were me, I'd convert the MK II to the Premier by following the differences
in schematics and parts lists.  (BTW the Premier made 1500W output very
easily with ~60W drive.  "Very" easily implies it had a lot of headroom,
there.  At 4200V and only about 550mA, it wasn't warmed up yet...)

WB2WIK/6