[TowerTalk] Dipole Longer or higher?

W. E. Bailey ebailey at earthlink.net
Tue Feb 15 01:04:09 EST 2005

I would suggest that you think about shortening the length of your antenna
(instead of lengthening it).  I know that this sounds counter-intuitive, but
take a look at L.B. Cebik's article on an 88 foot long doublet
(http://www.cebik.com/88.html).  I had always used dipoles of at least 125
feet in length and even for a time had longer ones.  When I moved to my
current location, suburban lot with limited space, I stumbled on Mr. Cebik's
article about the 88 foot length. I built it and have never been
disappointed.  Its performance has been excellent.

If you shorten the length of the wire - you will increase the average height
of the antenna - probably a good thing.

If you are interested in reading more by Mr. Cebik about wire antennas, see
his article "My Top Five Backyard Multi-Band Wire HF Antennas" at
http://www.cebik.com/fdim/fdim9.pdf

Good luck on your project.

Ed W2ED