[TowerTalk] Dipole Longer or higher?

Joe Subich, K4IK k4ik at subich.com
Tue Feb 15 01:27:13 EST 2005

> I would suggest that you think about shortening the length of
> your antenna (instead of lengthening it).  I know that this sounds
> counter-intuitive, but take a look at L.B. Cebik's article on an
> 88 foot long doublet (http://www.cebik.com/88.html).

I strongly disagree.  L.B. bases his recommendation for the 88'
dipole on only one factor, the ability to maintain a broadside
lobe between 3.5 and 14.5 MHz.  That's not the only thing to
consider.

1) The longer antenna will have a higher current, particularly
   at the current maxima.  Higher current => more radiation =>
   more gain/higher efficiency.

2) The proposed antenna will be an obtuse angle inverted V.
   The 140 degree angle isn't enough to cause significant
   loss of radiation but it will tend to fill the nulls
   of the typical harmonic radiation patterns.

3) The additional length will not be that much ... about 10%.
   Take advantage of it.

4) the 110' inverted V is likely to be somewhat easier to
   feed/match than an 88' dipole, particularly on 80 meters.

73,

   ... Joe, K4IK