[TowerTalk] Dipole Longer or higher?

Gary Schafer garyschafer at comcast.net
Tue Feb 15 17:22:49 EST 2005

Joe Subich, K4IK wrote:

> I strongly disagree.  L.B. bases his recommendation for the 88'
> dipole on only one factor, the ability to maintain a broadside
> lobe between 3.5 and 14.5 MHz.  That's not the only thing to
> consider.
>
> 1) The longer antenna will have a higher current, particularly
>    at the current maxima.  Higher current => more radiation =>
>    more gain/higher efficiency.

A short antenna will radiate just as well as a long antenna. Its length
  makes no difference in the amount of power radiated.

The only thing that changes the gain in a particular direction is
changing the pattern of the antenna or changing its efficiency.
Its efficiency isn't going to change very much by changing its length
10% or so.
Getting power to the antenna can be a determining problem though.

73
Gary  K4FMX