[TowerTalk] 75 meter Horizontal Loop or G5RV for limited space and height?

Schichler, Alfred ASchichler at microwavedata.com
Mon Feb 28 14:12:27 EST 2005

I'm new to this group, and I have a question that has probably been talked
about before, but I can't find the answers I'm looking for on the archives.
First of all, I live on a lot with no trees over 10 feet tall, and don't
have any electric poles nearby, but I would like to put up an antenna that
will get out better than my vertical for close contacts (20 to 800 miles)
on 75 meter AM. The only way I can put up a wire antenna is by attaching it
to my house with attached garage, which is roughly 58 feet by 30 feet.
I was thinking of putting up a G5RV or a dipole in an inverted vee
configuration, using a pole mounted on the back of the house, and bending
the ends around the house a bit to get the full 102 feet, but I have been
hearing recently about horizontal loops being better. I wouldn't be able to
make the loop a full wavelength on 75 meters, but I could probably get it as
long as 200 feet or so in circumference.

What I would like to know is: Would the loop or the G5RV have the best
take-off angle for working states within 800 miles or so?
I will  only be able to get the loop up around 20 feet high, and will have
to attach it to the house all the way around. Will that cause a major
problem?
I will be using the loop with balanced feedline. Will I be able to tune it
to a low swr on 75 meters using an antenna tuner with a balanced output,
even though the antenna will be under a full wavelength?

Any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks,
Al, NE2D