[TowerTalk] 75 meter Horizontal Loop or G5RV for limited space andheight?

Tom Rauch w8ji at contesting.com
Mon Feb 28 16:52:09 EST 2005

> What I would like to know is: Would the loop or the G5RV
have the best
> take-off angle for working states within 800 miles or so?

IMO anyone installing a full wave loop to get gain on a
single band is wasting time and wire. A loop offers very
little advantage even if you have all the room in the world
to optimize one.

A full wave loop only has the theoretical "just under 2dB"
gain when it is installed in freespace. A FW loop is no
quieter than a dipole overall, and has essentially the same
gain when installed at low height over dirt.

I'd just put up a dipole as high as you can and bend it to
fit the lot. (Tell all your friends it is a loop, and you
will be 5dB louder despite it actually being a dipole.)

I have all the room and all the wire any one would ever
want, and I have a low dipole (45 feet high) over a good
counterpoise system for a 80 meter cloud warmer. For DX I
have horizontal antennas at 150 feet or so height.

Multiband use is another story. Large horizontal loops have
some very nice advantages in multiband applications.

73 Tom