[TowerTalk] Resonant freqs for KT-34XA?

Michael Tope W4EF at dellroy.com
Sun Jan 2 21:01:19 EST 2005

----- Original Message -----
From: "Robert Katz" <rob.katz at thelegacycenter.com>
> Does anybody have resonance measurements for each element of a KLM
KT-34XA?

> I bought a used one and it doesn't tune up on 15m and 20m.  In
> measuring the resonant frequencies, the front driven element looks
> fine (freqs a bit above the band), but the rear driven element has
> funny looking readings (a bit below on 10m, waaaay below on 15m, and
> in the band on 20m).

Bob,

Here is some data that I took a few years ago when I was rebuilding
one of those beasts along with data that Mike Stahl K6MYC sent
me from his KLM design notebook (Mike designed the KT34XA when
he was at KLM):

www.KT34XA-EL.notlong.com

UseK6MYC's notebook data for your comparison. He tested each
element up 28 feet with a balun. I only had mine 10 ft above the roof
of the facility where I was testing (the purpose of my test was just to
make sure that there weren't any gross problems with the traps in
each element).

Good Luck!!

Mike, W4EF.............