[TowerTalk] Re: Tower Safety Equipment

Dan Levin djl at andlev.com
Mon Jan 3 13:05:51 EST 2005

While we are on the topic to tower safety, let me make my
regularly scheduled plug for a permanent safety system on
your tower.  This can be as simple as a 3/8" galvanized
steel cable that is well anchored to the top of the tower
and runs down one face.  You then use a trailing cable grab
on your safety lanyard, and you are always "clipped on".

No more using two lanyards so that one is always connected,
no more gorilla clips, no more worrying.  Just clip on
to your safety line on the ground, let your grab follow
you up and down the tower, and unclip when you get
back down.  If you don't want to home brew (building safety
equipment yourself is always a risky thing to do!),
you can buy cable or rail based permanent safety systems
for most towers from the manufacturer.

It is the single best investment I have made in my radio station.
When I have to climb my mast, which is beyond the reach of
my permanent system, my anxiety level goes up about 300%.

Best wishes to all for a great 2005,

                  ***dan, K6IF