[TowerTalk] Tower safety equipment

K8RI on Tower Talk k8ri-tower at charter.net
Mon Jan 3 13:22:57 EST 2005

>>>  What belts do people recommend? There seems to be a wide range of
>>> prices.

I wear a Kline Full floaating "belt" with two "D-rings", plus a safety
harness.
It's the same belt I see the guys from Consumers and the Cable Company
wearing.

> Safety "belt" is kind of a generic term plus it doesn't really describe
> what you need. These days just about everyone is using a fall arrest
> harness with a positioning lanyard (the one that hooks to the waist
> D-rings and holds you in work position) and a fall arrest lanyard that
> attaches to the D-ring between the shoulder blades. Using this ensemble
> let's you be attached to the tower 100% of the time for maximum
> protection.
>
> Fall arrest harnesses can run from about $90 (www.championradio.com) to a
> couple of hundred bucks for a Klein or similar professional grade.
>
> Like Bill, K4XS, I highly recommend an adjustable lanyard - one size
> DOESN'T fit all. But for low cost it's hard to beat a 4-foot rope one for
> $39.00.

I have a pole strap, not a lanyard. It's of vulcanized Nylon in something. I
don't remember what the other compound is no.  It looks like a regular belt
that is adjustable from being able to climb a pole to going around a tower
3' on a side.

> BTW OSHA rules only allow fall arrest harnesses anymore no safety belts.
> As a non-professional you can use whatever you want but the trend is
> towards more protection and if you're like me, you're more safety
> conscious now than when you were younger.

Last month when they were out, both consumers and the cable guy were wearing
the same belt as I have.  In addition they had a harness, but they were
wearing belts. I remarked aroubt it and they said they were wearing the same
stuff they had for years.

N833R, World's Oldest Debonair (S# CD-2)
www.rogerhalstead.com