[TowerTalk] Galvanizing ChromeMoly?

K8RI on Tower Talk k8ri-tower at charter.net
Tue Jan 4 23:38:52 EST 2005

----- Original Message -----
From: "doc" <kd4e at verizon.net>
To: <TowerTalk at contesting.com>
Sent: Tuesday, January 04, 2005 10:51 PM
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Galvanizing ChromeMoly?

> sabrams at nycap.rr.com wrote:
>> If you spray it in place you will never get the mast out of the bearing.
>> I have a 3" mast that I spray painted and it would not fit onto my
>> precision 3" bearing.  I had to take the bearing to a machine shop and
>> have it turned out a couple of thousandths to get the mast in.  GL  73
>> Saul  K2XA
>>
>> P.S.  Spraying the mast won't protect the inside of the mast.  No big
>> deal, but you will get rust stains below it.

Painting the inside is almost as easy as painting the outside.  (before it's
installed)
I capped one end of 40 feet, thinned out some paint, poured in a quart,
capped that end, and then tipped the pipe back and forth while rotating it.
After making sure the entire inside was coated, I set it on an angle to
drain.  I removed the caps from both ends to let the air circulate through.
On steel I used plain old Rusoleum primer.

N833R, World's Oldest Debonair (S# CD-2)
www.rogerhalstead.com