[TowerTalk] Omni Directional Antenna on Tower

K5XS at aol.com K5XS at aol.com
Wed Jan 5 14:36:38 EST 2005

I am putting up a small (50') dedicated VHF/UHF tower to "declutter" my main
(HF) tower.

I operate a UHF repeater from my QTH, and am considering putting an
omnidirectional (colinear) antenna on the tower for the repeater to take advantage of
the added height over the present antenna location.

Two configurations occur to me:

1)  Putting the repeater's omni antenna on the side of the tower with a
cross-arm.  I would need to install a cross-arm and would have a little shadowing
from the tower.

2)  Putting the omni antenna on the very top of the mast.  Naturally, the
antenna would rotate whenever I rotated the 6-meter and 2-meter horizontal yagis,
and I am concerned about flex in the coax and N connector over time and about
increased susceptibility to lightning (not a major risk here, but
nonetheless...)

Does anyon have any thoughts?  Option 2 is appealing, but it sure seems dumb
to rotate an omnidirectional antenna...

Thanks.

Bernie K5XS
Arkansas