[TowerTalk] 80 meter dipole on 160

Steve steveac at charter.net
Sun Jan 16 12:53:04 EST 2005

I have 80 and 40 meter dipoles on a common center insulator. They are
fed with about 60 ft of open wire transmission line whose characteristic
impedance is about 500 ohms. I'd like to use this antenna on 160 meters
and am looking to do so with an antenna tuner that has only 50 ohm
unbalanced output.

What's a good balun to use at the rear of the tuner to convert from the
unbalanced tuner output to the open wire line? Buy or build? I need to
accommodate legal-limit power.

Is there any point in trying to do some impedance matching with the balun?

Thanks.

Steve K8JQ