[TowerTalk] 80 meter dipole on 160

Jim Brown jim at audiosystemsgroup.com
Sun Jan 16 13:09:46 EST 2005

On Sun, 16 Jan 2005 12:53:04 -0500, Steve wrote:

>I have 80 and 40 meter dipoles on a common center insulator. They are
>fed with about 60 ft of open wire transmission line whose characteristic
>impedance is about 500 ohms. I'd like to use this antenna on 160 meters
>and am looking to do so with an antenna tuner that has only 50 ohm
>unbalanced output.

See my webpage for a detailed description of how I do it. The autotuners in my
K2/100 and my TS850 are able to tune this. When I use it with a power amp, I
tune it with a TenTec 229B. It's far from being an ideal antenna for 160, but it
works. Nothing new -- this is a less than ideal version of what is described in
Fig 21-2.1b of the current version of Kraus "Antennas for All Applications"
(third edition). I don't have an older version of the book, but my guess is that
this drawing is at least 40 years old.

http://audiosystemsgroup.com/K9YC/k9yc160TopLoad.htm

Jim Brown  K9YC