[TowerTalk] There's 'ground', and then there's 'ground'

Jim Lux jimlux at earthlink.net
Mon Jan 17 10:32:32 EST 2005

----- Original Message -----
From: "Frank Donovan" <donovanf at erols.com>
To: <towertalk at contesting.com>
Sent: Monday, January 17, 2005 4:39 AM
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] There's 'ground', and then there's 'ground'

> Keith,
>
> If you work as a professional in the industry, or if
> you're interested in spending several hundred dollars,
> purchase the EIA/TIA and IEEE grounding and bonding
> standards that provide exactly the engineering foundation
>  information you are seeking.  If you want to spend the
> money, let it be known on the reflector and I'm sure
> you will get the specifics.

Not to be contentious here, but I have the IEEE grounding specs, and, while
I don't have them in front of me at home, I don't recall much analysis of
the virtues or not of braid as opposed to other types of conductor.

I assume you're talking about the "Emerald Book", or possibly the "Green
Book", or even the IEEE STD-494(?) (the one on measuring ground properties
and conductivities).  Lots and lots of  very useful discussion of fault
currents/voltages, various and sundry grounding topologies (grids, multi and
single point, etc.).

If you can point me to where in those documents the discussion of braid is,
I'll look it up and summarize it back to the list.

As a note.. most specifications/recommendation provide a "minimum standard"
and don't usually get into "better or worse" kinds of judgements.  It might
require/recommend X sized braid, Y sized multistranded cable, or Z
dimensioned strap for a particular application, but usually wouldn't get
into which one is actually better.  There are usually also footnotes and
references giving the origin of the recommendation, and you might be able to
find out more in the references (but then, you might not...)

Jim, W6RMK