[TowerTalk] New FCC chariman needs to be a HAM!

Jim Lux jimlux at earthlink.net
Fri Jan 21 18:49:57 EST 2005

At 03:18 PM 1/21/2005, Jim Miller WB5OXQ wrote:
>I wonder if there is any way many hams could write congressmen or
>representatives and insist that the new FCC chairman should be a
>ham.  This would give him ad advantage in many ways and perhapps help
>protect our hobby.  Having someone in that office that does not understand
>interfearance would render him less effective to all.
>WB5OXQ, Jim in WacoNo virus found in this outgoing message.
>Checked by AVG Anti-Virus.

The FCC is a part of the executive branch of government, and therefore, it
is the President, or his designee(s), that will nominate the chairman.  The
Senate Commerce, Science, and Transportation Committee then has to confirm
them.  I imagine many more details may be found in the Communications Act
of 1934.

Right from the FCC website:

The FCC is directed by five Commissioners appointed by the President and
confirmed by the Senate for 5-year terms, except when filling an unexpired
term. The President designates one of the Commissioners to serve as
Chairperson. Only three Commissioners may be members of the same political
party. None of them can have a financial interest in any Commission-related
business.

so... it's President Bush you need to be writing to.