[TowerTalk] Thanks, and Diamond antenna Performance

K4BEV at aol.com K4BEV at aol.com
Sat Jan 29 10:24:17 EST 2005

In a message dated 1/29/05 9:01:11 AM Central Standard Time,
n9wx_dan at yahoo.com writes:
so, we'd like any suggestions on making the performance of the antenna
on the "Plastic" car better...any ideas??
Put some radials under it.
The 17(?)AWG aluminum wire used for electric fences works great.
You didn't say where the antenna is mounted...
I would think that the BEST thing to do is drill a hole in the center of the
roof and put the radials under the headliner... Or maybe even a disk cut for
1/4 wave at 2 meters.
Next best would be as far back on the trunk that you can get and still use
radials, again punching a hole - in the trunk.

All in all - some type of 1/4 wave ground under it will help considerably. We
have an old "plastic" motorhome and putting 4 radials under the 2 meter whip
made it a killer antenna! Without the radials it was a dud.
I didn't drill any holes in the mh however - The radials are on the roof.

73 es good luck with your project,
Don - K4BEV