[TowerTalk] Rigging Dipoles and Growing Old

ersmar@comcast.net ersmar at comcast.net
Thu Jul 7 15:11:15 EDT 2005

Lee:

     You ought to support the center coax in dipoles mainly to prevent the coax from tearing (bare coax wired to radiating elements) or to keep the PL-259 connector from pulling loose (your case with the Budwig center insulators.)  I would suggest you extend whatever rope you're going to use to support the center insulator a few feet beyond the insulator.  You will then be able to tape or otherwise attach the end of the coax to this rope.  This will provide some support for the coax and minimize the amount of weight the PL-259 has got to support through its soldered connection to the outside braid.

   BTW - In the late 60's when I was a Novice, 73 magazine ran a series of articles for newcomers.  The Elmer in the article was an older Ham named FN.  He taught his young proteges how to loop RG-58 coax over the top of a dipole's center insulator and put a few wraps of tape around the coax below the insulator to keep it in place.  Then he stripped the coax ends and attached the bare wire to the radiating elements.  I used this technique on my first spider-web dipole system.  The tight bend in the top of the RG-8 was something I didn't know enough about to be concerned.  I am planning on using this same approach this summer when I erect a trapped dipole for 60 and 30M, feeding it with much thinner RG-8X and (necessarily) running exciter power only.

73 de
Gene Smar  AD3F