[TowerTalk] soldering 259s to buryflex 9914F

Tom Rauch w8ji at contesting.com
Wed Jul 13 10:14:32 EDT 2005

> The whole idea of using a large iron to solder the plug
with is to get
> the job done quickly with enough localized heat so you
don't spread so
> much heat to the coax. By preheating the plug you have
defeated yourself.

Should connectors actually be soldered? I thought the RF
took care of that.

In 1970 I had a plywood plate on the wall. The antenna
cables hung vertically from the top down. I connected the
shields with braiding or flashing, and bent hooks in the
center conductors. The transmitter cable came up from the
bottom and moved freely, and had a hook in the center and a
braid to the antenna cable ground.

I moved the transmitter cable from one antenna cable to the
other. Most reliable switch I ever had and very easy to add
extra ports. I should have kept a picture. It went well with
my 130-foot American TV tower that was sitting on a thick
ceramic jug and guyed with nylon rope.

People are way too fussy now.

73 Tom