[TowerTalk] dumbing down

David Jordan wa3gin at erols.com
Thu Jul 21 11:43:45 EDT 2005

I was hoping the FCC would add an element to the exams that would help
filter out the idiots, criminals, wacos, PHD posers, liars, space
cadets, lids, old white men waiting to die and ego challenged
individuals which seem to be eroding the good will and fellowship that
once was associated with the amateur radio service. One simply has to
read the enforcement letters of the past several years or  listen to
select frequencies on 75meters (and other bands) to note that CW hasn't
protected the hobby from these type of individuals. I haven't performed
any analysis but I would bet that many, perhaps most of the major
problem operators in this country got their license the "old" and "hard
way" with 13 and 20 wpm requirements.

I enjoy CW, PSK, Internet remote operations (just started using RTTY via
the Internet remote connection to my country station) and yet none of
those modes of operation make me a better operator or guarantee that I
am a good operator or will become a good operator!

I think the threat to our hobby isn't going to be resolved with a
preference to any specific mode of operation or a requirement for skill
in a specific operating mode
(segregation through operatomg amd technical skills). The threat to our
hobby originates in the human side of the interface. The guy behind the
mic, cw key, keyboard and those who interact with those individuals.

I think the hobby needs more and better mentors, more and better
examples of good operating practices. Fewer exclusive radio clubs and
less in-fighting.  None of these needs are served by a 5-10-20wpm code
requirement if the experience of the past 40 years is any test.

That's my subjective opinion of one and I'm sticking to it!

73,
dave
wa3gin