[TowerTalk] split tubing in base leg

Peter Sundberg sm2cew at telia.com
Sat Jul 30 07:11:13 EDT 2005

At 10:22 2005-07-30 , Tom Rauch wrote:
>I doubt the crack will propagate anyway since it is caused
>by water freezing and not other stress. This isn't a metal
>stress issue, and it isn't a stress crack. Once the water
>inside freezes one time it now has a drain slot.

If I remember correctly the crack was 28" from the bottom of the tower.
That is not a drain in the correct position, it should be at the very
bottom of the tower to do any good. I would drill holes in each leg at the
bottom of the tower, else water freezing might make more cracks lower than
the present one.

73/Peter SM2CEW