[TowerTalk] split tubing in base leg

k0dan k0dan at comcast.net
Sat Jul 30 14:12:36 EDT 2005

Mine is a Tri-Ex self supporting motorized structure. The legs are hollow
tubing (self draining) except when they fill up with dead insects, dust and
other crud. The factory provides weep holes at the bottom each section but
they have become plugged with insects, dust, crud.

My solution was to drill a few new holes near the bottom of each leg (above
the factory weep holes) so I can blow air/water into the bottoms of the legs
to blast out accumulated debris, then permit more natural drainage.

As to the cracks which resulted from freezing water, repairs have been made
both by welding (where possible) and otherwise by slopping JB-Weld into the
cracks and applying rust conversion paint, then repainting.

These occasional cracks are below any of the overlap areas between the
tiltover base and the four telescoping sections. This solution may not work
for stacked (versus telescoping towers) but so far so good.

73

Dan
K0DAN