[TowerTalk] Securing The Cables to the Tower

Roger K8RI on Tower k8ri-tower at charter.net
Wed Jun 1 21:39:28 EDT 2005

It depends on how you install them.  Leave a "tail" instead of cutting the
tie flush.  It's not quite as neat, but works well.  Make the tail long
enough and you can loop it under the bundle.  Nearly all cable ties have a
"latch" that can be released using a small screwdriver although it is a two
hand operation.

In they are relatively inexpensive, unless you purchase the really good ones
from an electrical supplier, most trim the "tail" flush with the latch which
pretty much eliminates the reuse issue.  I've found the UV resistant ones at
the electrical wholesale supply to be quite expensive, plus I don't like the
idea of the pressure on the cables.

BTW, I did try the big ones a few years ago.  I purchased a whole bunch of
the big ones listed as UV "resistant" at a swap.  Resistant is a relative
term as half of them turned hard and broke in one year outside. I was able
to easily break the rest just by pushing against the strap.  However there
really are some good UV resistant ones out there, but tape lasts longer,
unless it gets really hot, then it slips and just makes the cables
sticky<:-))

With the wire Randy mentions, I'd just wrap it around the bundle two or
three times and then twice around the leg like a choker.  (the pull tightens
it and prevents slipping)

I started out to make a cable harness like the ones used on the cell towers.
It only took one long evening of cutting and drilling to make enough for one
tower section.  I decided they were far too much work just to look nice.

N833R - World's oldest Debonair CD-2
www.rogerhalstead.com