[TowerTalk] Liberal Arts Major and Antenna Theory

Ian White GM3SEK g3sek at ifwtech.co.uk
Mon Jun 20 18:25:44 EDT 2005

Lee Buller wrote:
> I am working on yagi design here and the program defines input
>inpedance in imaginary numbers...such as 41.3 -j .9 ohms.  OK.  I am
>trying to interpret that stuff.

For this application you can forget the math. Simply read it as a
shorthand way of writing: "41.3 ohms resistive, in series with 0.9 ohms
of capacitive reactance".

If it had been 41.3 +j0.9, you would read the "+" as meaning "inductive"
instead of capacitive.

Also remember that the program is probably only accurate to an ohm or
two, so don't sweat over the decimal parts of an ohm. The practical way
to read that result is "pretty close to resonance, with a resistance of
about 41 ohms".

Depending on the antenna and the model, the real information might be
nothing more than: "Could be resonant somewhere in the band, with an
impedance probably on the low side of 50".

--
73 from Ian GM3SEK         'In Practice' columnist for RadCom (RSGB)
http://www.ifwtech.co.uk/g3sek