[TowerTalk] Heights Tower - Separating Aluminum from Steel

Cqtestk4xs@aol.com Cqtestk4xs at aol.com
Tue Jun 21 19:49:48 EDT 2005

    I successfully dismantled N4SU's 25 year old
96' Heights aluminum tower with one exception.  The
bottom aluminum section seems to stuck at the Steel
fold-over base joint.  I've searched the archives but
only find suggestions for separating Al-Al joints............W4ZV
Funny you should ask this.....  Just this morning I removed three of those
pipes from the bottom of a Heights tower.  The whole operation took about 15
minutes with my trusty circular saw and a grinding blade.

Assuming you don't want to keep the steel stubs, just simply cut the steel
from the bottom to where it overlaps the aluminum.  From that point, cut a
groove in the steel just deep enough to avoid cutting into the aluminum.  After
that, just insert a heavy screwdriver into the groove at the bottom end.  The
steel will split and will be able to be rotated a couple of times and then slid
off.  Remarkably easy!

Bill K4XS