[TowerTalk] Hang wires....

Chuck Lewis clewis at knology.net
Wed Jun 22 12:12:55 EDT 2005

I second the notion of the chainsaw rope. I've used one quite a few times;
but there's a knack to using one, and a couple of caveats:
1. Practice a little on one of the lower and straightforward branches. If
two people are each pulling on one end, it takes a little time to get their
strokes coordinated (if you get my drift).
2. Whether you're using it with one person or two, make sure you position
yourself so the chain is cutting at an angle that will be least likely to
bind when the limb begins to bend or twist. A bound-up chain in a limb that
can't be reached from the ground to twist & pull on is REALLY frustrating.
Sometimes, moving around and pulling from different directions will get the
thing unstuck, but be prepared for a few of these frustrations.
3. Make sure you have enough length of rope that will allow you to walk out
to different angles if it does get jammed. You can just tie more lightweight
line onto the existing ones.

Other than those sometimes frustrating issues, the chainsaw/rope approach
works nicely, and provides a good workout as well!

Chuck, N4NM